Friday 20 April 2012

spices.. desserts.. thoughts..

Wonderful Dinner!!

Good time at Uncle Subramaniam/Aunty Kamakshi's house. It really is something I've not experienced before :) A potluck dinner at their beautifully furnished home up the hills of PJ. I was at first hesitant as I heard Uncle say "some other friends are coming over...you can meet them" 
But something told me to go ahead.

Making my turn into what I thought was the correct lane (indeed it was) I dialed his number and asked him innocently "Is it fine for me to drop by now Uncle?? And I will stay for dinner". Looking at my watch showing 5.45pm. I was early but his ever welcoming voice said "Definitely,why not.." 

So I parked my car on his vast compound and saw him standing at the veranda,smiling out at me dressed in his white singlet neatly tucked into his pants with a belt around his fairly rounded belly,hehehe...

I took a look around and saw how beautiful his house was. "Such a nice place you have" 
I always felt humble around him for he was a man with a great amount of knowledge and greater amount of "giving and sharing" sense. 

He took me on a small tour around the beautiful home he has built with his wife (my patient) Aunty Kamakshi. Everything looked so perfectly classical and posh but with a warm feeling to it all. I did not at all feel like a stranger there. 

A fragrant aroma of mixed spices and love danced across the house and caught my nostrils. It was aunty cooking in the kitchen. There she was, instructing her maid on how much spice and salt to put into the food she was cooking. She was as pretty as ever, in a black and white top, drenched in sweat. She was very happy to see me and being around her out of the usual clinical environment somehow gave me comfort and that distant feeling broke. She showed me her bedroom and Uncle was lighting up a scented oil he had bought for her in her room :) He never failed to do all he could for her. 


After a shower, Aunty joined us both at the veranda sipping hot tea. In her brown kurti top, 2 gold bangles on her wrist and a dark red pottu on her forehead..ooh how she can make one smile just by looking at her.



 
                                main door which can be pushed open to have stage performances

   

             
                                                                             entrance



                                                  swing space right before the kitchen place




                                                   doorway in between the bedrooms



                                                           living room filled with antiques


They then took me on a ride to pick some friends who were coming over for dinner and proudly told them I was their PHYSIOTHERAPIST. A good chat with them both in the car,it was indeed a fun ride. 


When we reached home, there was a small chatting session when Aunty's maid came to inform that dinner was ready. My hungry stomach jumped in extreme joy. Over the dining table spread a wide variety of dishes:

--> Vegetarian Nasi Lemak
--> Uppuma and Moru Kulambu
--> Chilli Pachadi (yummy)
--> Udon noodles
--> Fried Kuey Teow
--> Guava and asam


Yumm!!! I was eating really quietly and everyone around me kept offering me so much that I happily ate hehehe.. Lots of thoughts exchanged over the dinner table,jokes and riddles and knowledge on Hinduism. I felt shallow during that topic, giving me a wake up call to learn more about my own religion.


Just as I washed my hands and walked out of the kitchen, Uncle brought me aside and asked me:

"How far is your dining table from your altar?"
"Almost there to there" I said pointing to a 7 metres distance and wondered why.
So he said "I always pray before and after I eat. You should try that too and you will see no hunger days"

He smiled and walked me to the veranda. (mental note---jotted down)


After the scrumptious dinner, dessert was served at the veranda where chill air seeped through in between my toes and fingers and made me shiver a little. Next thing I know, I was holding a silver bowl and two servant girls were serving me; one a slice of bread pudding, another scooping out cadbury ice cream into the bowl. I sinked in and enjoyed the rest of the night with them. Every now and then, I would look over at Uncle and Aunty....seeing them smile makes my heart thank God for that moment of happiness in them.


Haven't had such a luxurious meal for sometime now and I feel blessed for the beautiful night God gave me.


TO A LOVELY COUPLE I ADMIRE SO VERY MUCH, EVEN THROUGH ALL THE STRUGGLE GOD PUT YOU THROUGH, YOU BOTH KEEP SMILING WIDER THAN ME..... THAT'S SOMETHING TO WATCH, ADMIRE AND LEARN


God Bless You!! :) Love You Both

AUNTY KAMAKSHI AND UNCLE SUBRAMANIAM :)
        http://thestar.com.my/health/story.asp?file=/2011/1/23/health/7822190&sec=health


No comments:

Post a Comment